Monday, December 21, 2009

28th email: December 21st, 2009

Let me just say...Sevastopol...and Ukraine/USSR in general...is a strange place to celebrate Christmas for an over-zealous and enthusiastic American.

"Christmas" here is kind of celebrated on January 7th. I little history lesson...when Stalin was in charge, he told people that there was no God, meaning no Christmas. He still wanted people to get presents though, so New Years became the big "presents" holiday. So Christ is completely out of the picture. Instead of nativities or stars of Bethlehems, there are fireworks and tigers everywhere (2010 is the year of the tiger). It's very different! We are doing our best to bring the spirit of Christ back into this time of year...and into people's lives in general. Not to mention its almost too hot to wear a coat! Gotta love Ukraine :)
I'm sorry...that's all I have time for today! I love you all so much and don't worry...I'll talk to you soon!

Merry CHRISTmas dangit. :)

love cectpa jones

No comments:

Post a Comment