Monday, December 28, 2009

29th email: December 28th, 2009

Rein – Dear Mamochka and family and friends and foes :)

HA! Merry Christmas! I can't believe I TALKED to you all...weird. Actually it was all so normal that it was weird. I forget about everyone and just figure that I have my own little life in Ukraine. No, I loved it! MOM – we got all our packages yesterday! No worries! THANKYOU! Everything was there and perfect and the right size...I will no longer have to wear layers and layers of summer clothes on cold days...although it's kinda fun to wear bright orange and purple and red when everyone else is in black and gray :) thankyou so much...Cectpa Lav was hilarious. So basically her ONLY love language is gifts. She got a package from her trainer full of an entire American Christmas. She literally screamed like a little girl and jumped up and down and said over and over, “This is the happiest day OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!” She got a gingerbread house, and you would have thought is was a new car...And all that coupled with what you guys sent her and The Sheets and Dan and Taryn...she still hasn't stopped talking about it. She said to me yesterday, “Cectpa Jones, all my dreams are coming true with you!” I died of laughter...her dreams, so far, have consisted of chicken and broccoli casserole (which she calls Kass-a-rell-a...thats ironic...but seriously she does)...check...stroop waffles...check...an American Christmas with a Christmas tree and stockings and new pjs and leaving santa cookies and caroling...check. Haha...man I love her to death...she is the funniest lil ukrainian.
I died over that book that Judi put together. I just cried and cried...i can't even believe how amazing all of our friends are that are serving...plus some great support and advice from the crew back home...best christmas present I think I could ever think of. I know they are all over the world, in all sorts of weird situations, learning all sorts of life long lessons...but I tell you...as cheesy as this sounds...they were with me in my little ukrainian Дом last night. I'm a better missionary today...mos def. They're all so amazing, I can't even stand it.
And thankyou Sheets gang! Dangit...stop growing up without me! Andrea, I loved what you said about your Christmas on the mission...Jim I loved what you said about the Utes...i still can't get all the cougars in the mission off my back! Hannah! I had a vision you're coming to Ukraine, so don't worry about any other place...just start buying your fur hats. Sam...i feel your prayers for me!...and I was proud to hear that you are a hide and seek champ...James – I told a a little boy the other day (he's 7) that my cousin James's favorite color is white...he stared at me like I was crazy...”that's not even a COOL color!” haha...so according to Ukrainian culture, you better change your mind...if ya haven't already :) Mary - thanks for your picture! It's on my fridge...right next to a picture of Roy and my grandpa Jones skydiving....not roy with grandpa skydiving...separate pictures...dangit...sentence structure.... but I love it! And Nate...you give Zoe a big sloppy kiss for me, ok? Seriously...thanks so much! Like I said, I'm trying to bring my companion back to life thanks to the overdose of christmas joy :)
Thanks Dan and Taryn and ROY! I cried at how ridiculously cute my nephew is. I seriously can't even believe it. I can't wait to see your new house...hey if you need some horses for your backyard, just ask...they're everywhere here...covered in bows and hats and ribbons...people treat them like they're those tiny little chihuashuas that girls put in their purse...but it's a horse. I guess they could try to shove one in a purse as a companion... :)
And thanks Nattle-berry ding-dong digger! You thought I forgot :) HA...the pooping reindeer is the biggest hit...and I loved the Vash kids cards...send them a little love and a HUGE hug...there's a letter coming their way ;)

SOO our christmas party was amazing...i was santa clause and my costume was amazing...a member flat out just made it for me out of a tablecloth...the members are amazing here....they are few, but happy to help and strong! The a couple highlights of the night...an innactive member of the church came on her own accord. She hasn't come to church in 6 years, but came and smiled and was so nice. The other highlight was Аня. She's a strong member of the church and brings her two boys often. Her husband is really against the church. She is beautiful, but she never ever smiles. She has a hard bearing life, but has always stayed true to her covenants and close to the church. We played a hilarious game called Хру-Хру ...basically you snort and people try to guess who you are...but she was not only smiling, but laughing! Аня laughing! Everybody always thought that I was the one snorting...like without fail, they'd guess it was me...she thought it was sooo funny... When she left she just said, laughing, “thank you so much our little snorter!” That made my year.

My study in the scriptures has taken a huge turn for the better...i just feel like everything is opening up for me...i know the Book of Mormon is true. People just can't seem to expect it! They believe in God, and they believe in Satan. So everything on earth either brings people to God or way from Him (towards Satan)...If the Book of Mormon is an imagined story made up in one young man's head in order to bring him glory and confuse the hearts and minds of mankind – then explain to me...Why do I feel so close to God when I read it? Why do I always find answers to my questions? Why, every time I act upon the answers I receive or apply these “ancient prophets” counsel and teachings into MY life, 100% of the time it works...meaning I'm happier, my relations are healthier, I walk and teach and testify with a power that is obviously not my own...and we are urged in James to “Ask God...in faith, nothing wavering” and He will answer us...so when I do that with steady hope, a clean heart and a clear and sharp mind, I am overcome by an indescribable, genuine sense of peace that I've ONLY experienced when I have asked God to reveal truths to me. Why would this happen if this book wasn't from God? Well the answer is simple. It wouldn't. Human emotions don't rise and fall on their own...happiness and clarity are not figured or formed in our brains – these feelings are straight from God to help us recognize the truth that can only be found in Him. Having said that, the Book of Mormon is the word of God. That young man Joseph Smith was a prophet...one who sacrificed every comfort and satisfaction of a normal life in order to establish Jesus Christ's church. I respect him and honor him...he helped open our once closed path to know Jesus Christ. But know we know Him! I have never been able to live off of a lie...i can't eat a real cake when I like toast...i can't wear church shoes when I know I like my flower boots...and I definitely can't work all day every day focused on on purpose if I didn't know it. I know it. That's why i'm here. I'ts beautiful and I thank God every day!

Love you allllllllllll so so so much...stay strong and work hard...

love cectpa jones


ps./... ANDREA – you're having surgery?! Lame...i'd hook you up with the good doctors if I was there...love you! Don't be scared...who needs a gall bladder? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment