Wednesday, February 17, 2010

32nd email: January 18th, 2010

Hey mamochka and family –

Sooo…another week in Ukraine! By the way, a lot of people say “In THE Ukraine” and its not right…it bugs people here. Haha. So spread the trend of just “in Ukraine”…you’ll find some happy Ukrainians  What’d we do this week? Ummm…so yeah we had zone conference on Monday which was amazing…it’s always such a great spiritual booster for the transfer! We talked about better ways to contact (like always), a little bit of history of the Pravoslavic church that I’m positive 99% of the members don’t even know, we talked about way we even work with members…that was good for me…it’s really hard to work with members here cause Ukrainians like to talk a lot… a lot a lot…haha…so when we invite them to lessons, needless to say, it’s hard to get the lesson in. HOWEVER, I need to remember that I am leaving soon…their missionaries will leave soon, and they’re left in the hands of the members. If I think that the members need to do something different, well then we need to help teach the members…but refusing to meet with them is not the answer. The first Presidency promised us that this is the most effective way to be successful in the work…we need to be better at it. If we don’t help them learn to be teachers and supporters, well then no one will teach them how! Elder Kemp gave a fabulous talk on the Lords timetable…so basically patience…  it was good for all of us! It’s tough to work all day everyday and have nothing to show for it…but nevertheless…the Lord’s hand is in His work. It may be part of a process that we can’t fully comprehend, but our job is to work our butt off for it anyway! I’m reading in Alma right now and I was just thinking how sweet it would’ve been for the sons of mosiah to see those anti-nephi-lehis lay down their lives staying true to their covenents with God. They were like…the Lamanites…like bad bad mean guys…I can’t think of a stronger, more touching display real testimony than this…and they got to SEE that change in these people they brought to Christ…it took them a few years, but they saw the “fruits of their labors” like we hear a million times in the scriptures. I hope one day we can see those fruits. President Uchtorf promised that within our lifetime, we will see this area expand. It’s already happening in Kiev! Golly…share the goods with crimea :) So yeah…that was zone conference! Today we went to balaklava…I’ve been there like 5 times and it never gets old! We went and hung out for a little bit with one of the elders investigators down on the dock where all the old guys go fishing…it was so funny. There were like 50 lined up in their shopkas with their thermos of tea and fish sandwiches…I loved it so much! I kissed one of the guys fish…hahah…it was nasty.
Cectpa Lav is just as cute as ever…she gets SO excited over the funniest things… she makes presents for everyone and is ALWAYS baking or cooking for someone…she’s a fabulous cook! I totally am too. This week I made one thing. Toast. But we don’t have a toaster. Well actually I broke it. So one of the elders was like, “just toast it on the pan!”. Yeah ok! Good idea if you’re not kjones and forget everything…I forgot about it of course, but was reminded when I saw smoke coming out of our kitchen…haha…meh. I’ll probably starve when cectpa lav leaves me :( Actually I’ll leave her. We’re thinking next transfer and my two choices are nikolaiv or Poltava (the cold city!) Sisters are only in 5 cities in our missions…cev, nikolaiv, poltava, zaporosia, and dnepr…I really don’t want to leave! Meh…it’ll be fun.
Lena is so so great…she accepts everything and basically sets up her own meetings with us :) Everytime she prays, I just want to cry. Theres something about witnessing someone talk to God for the first time…she’s so real and sincere about it. She’s really building her relationship with God and I know she has a testimony…we’ve just got to help her realize it. We talked about baptism with her. She brought up the concern that she’s already been baptized (like everyone) but that was all. She didn’t agree to baptism yet (I just don’t think she’s comfortable as she needs to be) but she agreed to let us help her change. She really doesn’t have that much to change …she’s a saint. I need to be more patient with her. Cectpa keeps telling me to give her time…salvation is just a hard topic for me to be patient with… but I know that the Lord is helping her out. It’s funny how as missionaries we really don’t do anything. All the investigators that our district has right now (like the real actually progressing ones) do everything on their own. It’s my job, like Andrea (the aunt one ) said, “Be humble enough to put the work in the Lords hands, but live worthy enough for Him to put it back into yours!” I loved that…thanks We’re just doing a lot of praying and planning for her…I’m scared I’m gonna mess something up…I know we won’t …but it still gives me the jibberies :) hahah…send me back I definition of jibberies.. I don’t even know.
So yup…all is so good. I love being on a mission. It’s stinkin hard, but it better be…seeing as Christ’s sacrifice in giving us salvation wasn’t too easy. Converts, members, missionaries and investigators alike are going to have to go through some crappy times in order to reach it…that I know! But that’s ok. The reward is pretty much the best thing you can imagine…times a zillion.
Lots of love and grechka…

Love cectpa jones
in UKRAINE...haha...i still can't believe it...i've lived here longer now than any other country! well except america...

Ps happy bday j-fus! I can’t believe it…you’re 17. eww. Have a good one…I’m sending you a sweet present!

No comments:

Post a Comment