Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Gob Bleev. I mean Bog Jeev.

This is what I learned today. Bohg Jeev (I have no idea how you really spell it) means "God lives" in Russian. However, what I've been saying for the last week, Gob Bleev, doesn't mean anything in Russian. Oops.

I went and ate lunch with Kathy today in the cafeteria. Today I brought her a few things from home, including her pillow (come to think of it, I probably looked strange walking in to work today with a big pillow) and her newly updated iPod that is not full of all the classical and spiritual music I could get my hands on, along with some Raffi to remember our childhood. Mom and Dad and Danny- I found those songs on itunes we'd listen to non-stop like Joshua Giraffe and Mikey Made a Mess and King and Queen of the Sandbox. When I went to go get my food, I told her I needed to post more videos and I gave her the camera and let her go to town. For a lot of one of them she is babbling off in Russian like we might know what she's saying.

She also told me a really funny story. I guess the fire alarm went off accidentally in their building the other day and one of the Elders jumped up in a panic and began yelling in Russian the only phrase he could think of. "Where are you from? Where are you from?" So funny.










She said she loves her teachers. Brother Pearce likes to joke around with them and have fun while Brother Olsen is more mellow and very spiritual. She says her district can get a little out of control but she loves them anyway. Apparently all they talk about are muddy buddies so if you're thinking of sending her a package, that is what she'd like most. She also asked me to get her a coat since it's been raining so much and she doesn't have anything warm to wear. She asked for the ugliest most Kathy-making-a-statementish one in her closet... I might not be able to "find" it and I'll probably end up bringing her a more conservative one that fits a little better with the MTC. The coolest part about Kathy as a missionary is that she is still able to be herself and her own person. She's very accepting of everyone and super friendly to everyone she sees. There are 5 Russian speaking sisters and 2 Russian speaking Elders in their zone (they are all from either the Ukraine or Russian with one sister from Albania that speaks Russian fluently) and they said Kathy's Russian is pretty good and that she never shuts up but just babbles away to herself all the time in Russian. It is a huge help to have them there to help with the language. Most of them are going back to Russia or the Ukraine to serve and are in the MTC in Provo just to work on Preach My Gospel and perfect their English, but everyone that I talked to already spoke immaculate English, I was so impressed! Kathy said she has 24 full pages of Russian grammar she needs to know right now but she doesn't even understand the first page. It is a humbling experience for sure.

She wanted me to tell you all hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment